Looking for postal and internet-based DISTANCE LEARNING? You could be up and running in just a few days!
Designed by THE garden design company
colin elliott © 2008
This is a good starting point for those who have little experience in horticulture or hydroponics; whose main interest is in growing AT HOME. Unlike our other hydroculture courses, this course is NOT intended for commercial growing in any way.
You will learn the theory behind hydroponic culture, as well as receive first hand practical experience as you set up your own basic hydroponic system.
Grow your own food, herbs and other plants faster, with less chance of disease and in a more environmentally friendly way.
Develop a solid grounding in the principles of soil less cultivation of plants. When you remove the soil from a plant and take control of its roots, it is essential that you have a good understanding of how it grows.
Anybody can grow plants in soil with reasonable success. To grow plants in hydroponics you must understand how the plant grows so that you can control the temperature, water, oxygen, nutrients etc. in the root zone.
There are 10 lessons in this course:
- Introduction to Hydroponics & Plant Growth
- Scope and Nature of Hydroponics and terminology (Water Culture, Sand and Gravel Culture, Rockwool, Vermiculaponics, Hydroculture, etc)
- How it Works
- A Simple Manual System to Create
- History of Hydroponics
- Understanding How Plants Grow
- Understanding the Water Requirements and Management
- Basic Chemistry, Nutrition & Nutrient Solutions
- Significance of understanding chemistry for hydroponics
- Understanding Basic Chemistry
- Atoms and Compounds
- The important Plant Nutrients
- Writing Chemical Names
- What concentrations of different nutrients does a plant need?
- Nutrient solutions
- Preparing Nutrient Solutions
- Mechanisms of Nutrient Uptake
- More on Nutrient Solutions
- Understanding differences between Soil Culture and Soil less Culture
- The nitrogen Cycle
- Summary of fertilizers used in Hydroponic Nutrients
- Calculating Chemical Formulae
- Hydroponic Nutrition
- Media and Types of Systems
- Classification of Hydroponic Systems
- What Makes up a System; system variables; Solution Dispensation, Closed or open, Drip, slop, capillary feed, wicks, misting, dry fertilizing etc, Automatic or Manual Operation, Type of Medium, Construction Materials, Rate & Frequency of Irrigation & Feeding, Air Injection (In water culture), Plant Support, Environment controls.
- Choosing a System
- Types of Media
- Leca, (Expanded Clay)
- The Bentley System
- Designing a System
- Nutrient Film Technique
- Alternative NFT Layouts
- Solution Dispensation Options (closed or open system, drip, slop, flood, capillary, dry, mist, etc)
- 16 Other System Options
- Problems in Hydroponics
- Pest and Disease
- Diagnosis of Nutritional Problems
- Controlling Acidity
- Plant Culture
- Flow Charting a Crop
- Greenhouse Management
- Controllers (Salinity, pH)
- Adjusting Solutions using an Electro Conductivity Meter
- Solid Media vs Water Culture
- Indoor Plants
- Gravel Culture compared with NFT
- Growing Vegetables in Hydroponics
- Fresh Cut Herbs in Hydroponics
- Review of all other common vegetables that are suited to hydroponics
- Growing Cut Flowers in Hydroponics
- Review of many other common flowers that are suited to hydroponics
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the Academy, marked by the Academy's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
Working with Colin Elliott, an experienced professional horticulturist, this course provides solid technical and practical information to help you set up your own home system.
To enrole on this course please use the Buy Now button below; to ask further questions please contact us.
Course cost: £ 320.00 (single payment)
MORE COURSES TO BE ADDED SOON!